In today's New York Times there is an article about puns. He doesn't like them.
I thought anti-pun prejudice was a singularly American affliction-until I read this article, and discovered plenty of Brits have been anti-pun too.
As many of you know, recreational punning is an activity I rather enjoy. I defend the pun against Mr Tartakovsky's arguments. A well-executed pun requires quickness of wit, and flexibility of mind. A pun represents an attempt to forge a connection between two disparate things, and such efforts are key to the emergence of new ideas.
Of course, some of you just think all puns should be, well, executed. Talinn & Denise, this article is for you.
I say, "amen brother!" People who use puns should be shot and left out for the dogs.
ReplyDeleteEr...
I really wanted to come up with a pun for that line... but I'm not all that sharp right now. Drat.