Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"the lake lay blue"

In high school we once sang this song called "Bluebird" which Mr. Trocchia declared fantastic and the only song he knew of that had had another song dedicated to it. I thought it was stupid. We all sang "the lake lay blue below the hill" and then the sopranos came in and sang "Blue" on a high F, kind of like a bell chime except that we always moderately sucked at it. I never liked that song. But I did remember it a few weeks ago when we went to, you guessed it, Blue Lake in Mt. Gambier.

When I heard the name, I also thought it was a bit goofy. I mean really. How blue can it be?



That blue. Literally, it "blue" me away. It's a volcanic lake, so you have to get up to the crater to see the lake at all, but everyone who did went , "Wow. That's really blue."

So perhaps not worth a trip all the way to South Australia, but all the same, really freakin' blue.

PS: All of the "blue" in these pictures is lake, no sky. I threw in a picture of another lake about 100 yards away just for contrast.

1 comment:

  1. wow... that is very blue.

    "I'm so blue hoo hoo hooo hoo hoo hooo hoooooooo, I'm so blue I don't know what to do!"

    4 year old means a lot of veggie tales!

    ReplyDelete