Pompeii, or what's left of it, was pretty interesting, although you have to use quite a bit of imagination. And there were hordes of tourists there...acting like tourists. But the occasion of this post was a conversation at dinner we'd had a couple of nights before with a couple who'd just come from Pompeii (we hadn't been yet). The woman said, blah blah blah "of course, they didn't know what a volcano was then..."
And I thought, "Of course not. Duh. So that must've been a shocker."
But then we went there. Before we'd even gotten off the train we both went, "Oh, so that's Vesuvius over there." You know how we knew? Because it looked like a VOLCANO. Like a mountain that'd had the top whacked off. The same thing happened when we went to Mt Gambier, home of the Blue Lake. Daniel said, "I'm not sure where the Blue Lake is." I turned around, looked for a second, and said, "That's it." And he said, "Yeah, you're right." Not because we're so smart, but because it's so obvious.
PS: Make sure to watch for the last photo. It's my favorite.
No comments:
Post a Comment