Saturday, November 28, 2009

There's a man with a gun out there... (a post for Leanne)

Six years ago on Thanksgiving morning our friend Leanne goes, "Why is someone with a gun walking through your garden?" Leanne is from Australia. Australians do not run around toting guns. Or shooting things with them. Thanksgiving 2003 was Leanne's introduction to American Thanksgivings and to Deer Season.

I thought of Leanne last week. I was outside, raking leaves when I looked up and saw a man standing in my backyard, dressed in camouflage and holding a very large weapon. Very large. We've given our neighbors permission to hunt on our land. This was not one of our neighbors.

I go, "ExCUSE me?" (turned out it was a friend of the neighbor's, who had tried to call us but figured we weren't home) All in all, a slightly disconcerting experience.

They've been trekking up the drive for more than a week now to scope the deer out in anticipation of Gun Season, which started this morning. One of them has already gotten a big buck. We cheer them on, knowing that everyone they kill means one less marauder of my hydrangeas.

No comments:

Post a Comment