Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sabbatication Retrospective: Rome

Can I just say that this working every day thing is a real $|#@#? This time last year we were in Rome, headed for the Amalfi Coast. We had planned to "bat clean-up" in Rome and hit a few of the big sites that we'd missed the last time we were there: the Vatican (meh), the Forum (no longer available unless you also bought an over-priced ticket to the Coliseum which we'd seen the last time) and Something Else which I've forgotten but I think turned out to be closed. We also wound up paying 5 euros for a cup of tea near the Vatican (ALWAYS ASK FOR THE PRICE FIRST!!)

I remember being pretty bored with the Vatican. Too much stuff, not enough signage--we became quite the connoisseurs of good museumage over the year. The Vatican did not measure up very well. And what's up with the only bathrooms being in the basement and all of the toilets being seat-less?? You'd think that being the Pope and all, he could manage to spring for toilet seats.

It was not our most successful weekend of touristing ever. But after the Vatican lameness and the Forum over-pricedness, we decided to cut our losses and just focus on the gelato. And then then the weekend improved greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment