Sunday, April 25, 2010

surprises

It is spring again on Rhoric Road. The driveway thawed and has yielded a very cool surprise: baby foxes! There are two kits in a den right on the edge of the driveway, so I've been seeing them every couple of days. They're actually pretty good about not running for cover too quickly. They've stayed above ground while I get out of the car and watch them for a few minutes. I think the first movie I ever saw was The Fox and the Hound at the Lancaster drive-in. I'm getting pretty attached to these guys; it'll be sad when they get a bit older and vanish.



Also, this evening I found a lilac bush in the back yard. I have no idea how we've lived in this house for four springs and have only just now seen it. (Maybe it hasn't bloomed every year? I hope?) It's not like it's buried in the back of the woods or something. It's right in plain sight from about 8 different windows. I hate to think my powers of observation are so pathetic.

I have always lamented the lack of lilacs here. There are so many great flowers and flowering trees, but no lilacs. We planted one about 5 years ago, but it still looks like crap and has only generated about 2 blossoms in its entire life. This new-old one is scraggly, but I did get a small vase out of it, which brightened my day considerably.

1 comment: